Monday 16 March 2009

The Commoner

This is without doubt my favourite restaurant in Melbourne. Usually my favourite place is the next one, the cool one I have read about but haven't been to yet...but I can't get enough of this place. The little touches inside and out are as amazing as the food. Call ahead and they'll roast you a kid or a chicken or turn up on Sunday night for a 'Feed Me' dinner, where the chef serves as many courses as will fit the budget you wish to spend per head. That's a dahlia on the cistern, a hydrangea wrapped around the pipe above the hand dryer and Aesop soap is provided for your hands - can you sense a woman's touch? Both owner & chef, Zoe Roy are female. They call their style of food Modern British and the influence of Zoe's stints working in Scotland, England, Ireland, Turkey and France are evident...Moorish spices, shared plates and seasonal produce are their signature. This is only the courtyard and the bathroom, I want you to visit to see and taste the the wonders inside for yourself! What's you're all time favourite eating spot like?

6 comments:

Hannah said...

oh this place looks and sounds delightful!
My favorite place is close to my home town...a little old house converted into a gift shop/cafe'.
They have the best quiche and scones with lemon curd...all 100% homemade in the tiny little kitchen that you can watch them work in! It's such a wonderful experience the second you walk in the door!
Oh, and homemade pies...lots of them, by the slice...it's great to watch all the local business men come in just for pie at lunch time!

natasha said...

This place looks lovely, I will have to check it out next time I am in Melbourne. Thank you for the recommendation!

I just found your blog last night btw (via Pia Jane Bijkerk) and *love* it! It's gorgeous :)

Denise Kiggan said...

This looks lovely! A place I have to visit if I ever get back to Melbourne again!

Anonymous said...

It looks really lovely. Perhaps one day.......

Anonymous said...

hello, found you through Decor8.

this restaurant looks PERFECT! it is going on my Wishlist of places to visit when i'm in Melbourne next.

TERI REES WANG said...

These photos are exquisite!