Thursday, April 23, 2009

Water Bottles & Ink

Gülnur özdağlar is an architect in Ankara, Turkey who somehow magically takes something as ordinarily uninspiring as a discarded recyclable water bottle, and using an open flame, scissors, a knife and a soldering iron, she creates create these ethereal jellyfish-like sculptures. She hand pierces every single tiny hole individually. Her Etsy shop Tertium Non Data displays her fascinating range of products, from wearable art: brooches and necklaces to sculpture like useable art: bowls, vases and plastic petal chandeliers. What a beautiful way to make a statement about an adversity to waste.

I've been following Natsumi's blog for as long as I've been blogging. I don't remember how I came across her work but the tiny delicate art works she creates just struck a chord with me. I still can not get this one out of my head.

Image 1 & 3 from Etsy via automatism. Images 2 & 4 by Natsumi Nishizumi.

5 comments:

lisa tilse said...

Oh so divine! And even better that she is using discarded materials.

I am also a huge fan of Natsumi. I think what I love the most is the absolute simplicity of her work.

Katie said...

Perfect post for Earth Day! I love these images, so simple yet soooo detailed individually. Love them. :)

loupita said...

These are lovely! It's great that she uses a man-made material and makes it look so organic. :)

Jolie Morgan Musick said...

They seriously look like the tops of little jelly fish. Crazy!

n a t s u m i said...

Thank you for the mention about my work!

These jellyfish objects made out of pet bottles are so beautiful! very clever!